The Hunter Valley is Australia's oldest wine growing region and only a short 2 hour drive from Sydney or one hour from Newcastle. With over 100 wineries to choose
from there is something to suit everyone. The Hunter Valley is renowned for its Semillon, which has been described as "Australia's unique gift to the world". There
are also Shiraz, Chardonnays, Verdelhos and a host of other varieties. Why not experience the Hunter Valley region yourself through our guided Wine and Cheese Tasting
Here is a sample listing of wineries in the Hunter Valley. There are a great many more wineries and it is easy to explore the Hunter Valley to find your favorite.
- Audrey Wilkinson Vineyard - First planted in 1866, this site is widely regarded at the first wine vineyard in the Pokolbin area. Boasting spectacular views across
the Hunter Valley, the Vineyard's reconstruction was completed in 1999. Wines are styled on tradition and enhanced by the characters of the Oakdale vineyards.
- Bimbadgen Estate - Architecturally unique, Bimbadgen Estate has a modern cellar door and excellent restaurant. The bell tower at Bimbadgen Estate is something of
a landmark in the Hunter region. Bimbadgen Estate has state of the art methods and produces traditional Hunter Valley wines such as Semillon, Chardonnay, Shiraz and Cabernets.
- Brokenwood Wines - Established in 1970, this famous winery has developed over the years and now produces multiple award winning Shiraz and Semillons.
- Drayton's Family Wines - A family-owned and run winery established 140 years ago. The winery is named Bellevue after its historic homestead, the winery also
includes an outside barbecue area and a playground for children.
- Ernest Hill Wines - A boutique winery that grows its grapes and names its wines after areas on the vineyard and members of the family. Production commenced making
the Cyril Semillon and the Alexander Chardonnay in 2002, and added a verdelho, gewurztraminer and shiraz to the range in 2003. In the 2004 vintage a late picked Semillon was added
and has also been expanded to include two Merlots a reserve Shiraz and a Moscato style dessert wine.
- Iron Gate Estate - A boutique winery which exudes the ambience of southern Spain or Tuscany, and fascinating tours of the wine production facilities. The winery
incorporates the latest technology in wine making and produces a mix of wines produced from grapes grown in its own vineyard and picked by hand including classic Hunter Semillon,
Verdelho, Unwooded and Wooded Chardonnay, Shiraz AO and the sweet Shiraz.
- McGuigan Cellars - McGuigan's is the home of McGuigan Fine Wines, Hunter Valley Cheese Company and Chocolate and Fudge Shop. Part of the Hunter wine industry for
over 50 years, McGuigans offers an extensive winery and cellar door.
- McWilliams Mount Pleasant Estate - McWilliams is the largest wholly Australian owned family wine company in Australia. Mount Pleasant was founded in 1921 by Maurice
O'Shea, who was regarded as one of the great winemakers of Australia. The winery has a tasting room, bar and lounge overlooking the vineyards. Elizabeth's Cafe serves meals during
- Pepper Tree Wines - Nestled in the heart of wine country at the center of the Pepper Tree wine complex. One of the most awarded small wineries, the cellar door
adjoins the winery and the beautiful grounds and gardens of Pepper Tree. Roberts Restaurant is also adjoins the Pepper Tree Winery.
- Pokolbin Estate - One of the smallest old wineries in the Hunter, this estate has a tasting room in a 114-year-old sandstone cottage. As one of the smallest producers
of hand made boutique wines all grown on the Pokolbin Estate vineyards, wines are not available in shops, restaurants or overseas.
- Savannah Estate - produces wines from small select parcels of premium fruit that reflect the character of the region. Savannah is the granddaughter of the renowned
Petersons Family and carries on the tradition with award winning sparkling wines and great varieties.
- Tempus Two Winery - The winery complex incorporates a state of the art boutique winery, world class Cellar Door and tasting rooms with a sophisticated Espresso Lounge.
Over recent years the winery has played host to some of the world's leading performing artists with spectacular outdoor concerts.
- Tower Estate Wines - The Hunter Valley's newest boutique winery. The philosophy of this winery is to product outstanding wines of classic style. Created by Len Evans,
this winery produces Semillon, Verdelho, Shiraz, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Wyndham Estate - Established in 1828 and is the only vineyard situated on the banks of the Hunter River. The winery boasts of limited release Show Reserve Wines and
Bin Range Wines. Wyndham has a licensed restaurant open 12 noon to 3pm daily, and a barbecue area for visitors by the Hunter River. Wyndham Estate hosts popular events such as Seasonal
Lunches, Opera in the Vineyards and Vintage Jazz Festival.
[Please note, the wineries listed above are for informational purposes only, our day tours do not visit all of the wineries in the Hunter Valley]